Case Report
 
Gallstone Ileus resulting in Meckel’s Diverticulitis
Mitchell Andrew Goettman1, Bilal Kharbutli2
1Resident, General Surgery, Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
2General surgery, Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Wyandotte, Michigan, USA

Article ID: 100912Z01MG2018
doi: 10.5348/100912Z01MG2018CR

Corresponding Author:
Mitchell Andrew Goettman,
4055 Lexington Dr. Trenton,
Michigan, USA 48183

Access full text article on other devices

  Access PDF of article on other devices

[HTML Full Text]   [PDF Full Text] [Print This Article]
[Similar article in PubMed] [Similar article in Google Scholar]



How to cite this article
Goettman MA, Kharbutli B. Gallstone Ileus resulting in Meckel’s Diverticulitis. Int J Case Rep Images 2018;9:100912Z01MG2018


ABSTRACT

Meckel’s Diverticuli are remnants of the vitelline duct which totally obliterate during the 9th week of gestation in 98% of the population. Of the other 2% which retain a remnant of the duct, only a small proportion goes on to develop complications that need surgery. Gallstone ileus is an obstruction typically unrelated to Meckel’s Diverticuli which results from inflammation and fistulization of the gallbladder to the small bowel or stomach with subsequent passage of a large stone. This case report describes a unique occurrence in which a gallstones ileus led to acute Meckel’s diverticulitis. The approach to gallstone ileus should generally be enterotomy with stone extraction alone, while Meckel’s Diverticulitis is treated with resection and primary anastomosis. When faced with concurrent diseases, stone extraction for a gallstone ileus can be performed after transecting the small bowel for resection of the Meckel’s and prior to performing the anastomosis.

Keywords: Gallstone Ileus, Meckel’s diverticulitis, Pneumobilia


[HTML Full Text]   [PDF Full Text]

Author Contributions
Mitchell Andrew Goettman – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Acquisition of data, Analysis and interpretation of data, Drafting the article, Revising it critically for important intellectual content, Final approval of the version to be published
Bilal Kharbutli – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Acquisition of data, Analysis and interpretation of data, Revising it critically for important intellectual content, Final approval of the version to be published
Guarantor of Submission
The corresponding author is the guarantor of submission.
Source of Support
None
Consent Statement
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this case report.
Conflict of Interest
Author declares no conflict of interest.
Copyright
© 2018 Mitchell Andrew Goettman et al. This article is distributed under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium provided the original author(s) and original publisher are properly credited. Please see the copyright policy on the journal website for more information.